Monday, May 2, 2011

Grenadier - Undead Minotaur

Undead Minotaur
Company: Grenadier
Part #: Fantasy Lords 529
Scultpor: ??
Released: 1980's


Continuing with our theme of monsters for my Ancient Greek brigade here is an example of a Grenadier Fantasy Lords Undead Minotaur.

I picked this up on ebay fairly recently.  I actually had no idea this piece existed.  I'm not sure how I missed it.  It's possibly in some of my old Grenadier catalogs, but you would think I would have remembered this one.  In any case, it's always nice to be surprised with a new find.  As you can see, it's an ogre sized piece, similar to the Minotaur Lord previously highlighted in yesterday's post.


It's not a great sculpt and suffers from the monoplane problem so common to larger Grenadier figures from that time.  Essentially, the sculptor crafted him in a pose that is aligned along only one plane.  That makes him easier to cast, but much less dynamic.  On the other hand, he is purely skeletal.  More points in my book.



I took on this one as another brown wash project.  I applied Aged Bone to all the skeletal areas and washed it with my standard Shield Brown wash.  It hasn't turned out as well as it has on other figures, mostly because the detail is lacking the sculpt.  I do like how the marble column turned out, painted with Pure White, washed with a black ink.  It gives it the proper Hellenistic ruins look.

So, there we have my two minotaurs for the Ancient Greek brigade.  Up next... more monsters!

1 comment:

  1. That plane sculpt makes him look like he's going to fall over. Not so intimidating.

    ReplyDelete