Wednesday, April 6, 2011

New Tomb Kings!

Well, time to break out the wallet come May.  Games Workshop, makers of Warhammer™, is coming out with new a new Tomb Kings book for 8th edition.  And with a new book comes delicious, delicious new models. 



Warhammer™ may be a sucky game, but I still collect the figs – and GW can certainly put out some nice models.  And these new figs are certainly… interesting.  Definitely out of the box thinking from GW.  Skeletal knights riding cobra constructs?  I have to admit a certain uneasiness concerning a lot of these figs since many aren’t strictly skeletal.  A lot of them are constructs, or golems, like the previous ushabti in the Tomb Kings line.  I accepted those as part of my fantasy Middle Kingdom Egyptian Legion because the heads were skulls, and beautifully crafted skulls patterned after the Egyptian gods; Anubis, Horus, Set, etc.  But some of these may be too out there for me.  Like the war sphinxes?  Definitely constructs.  Beautiful ones surely, but not skeletal.  Of course, one of them has a howdah with skeletons in it.  So that may be a possibility.  But those snake constructs?  We’ll have to see. 

And then there’s the new Tomb Guard set. That looks nice.

I like the fact that all these are in plastic, which is rapidly becoming my favorite medium.  Not only is it way cheaper than pewter (and with GW you need to save every penny you can get.  They’ll STILL probably find a way to charge $40 for the war sphinxes) but the plastic sets just allow for a wide variety of customization.  We’ll have to see what the detail is like.

There’s rumors of a new plastic catapult set and bone giant as well.  With these I can probably field an entire Middle Kingdom Egyptian undead force.  All the previous GW figs, plus the ones I have from Gamezone, Reaper, Crocodile Games and half a dozen other companies give me an army of such size that I couldn't fit in an augment of ancient Greeks or Romans even if I wanted to.

Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment