Thursday, November 17, 2016

WIP Undead Empire Army - Undead Emperor on Skeleton Griffin.
A little diversion project from adding the finishing touches to my undead classical Greek army. A mounted general with an army standard for my undead Empire army. Not really an "army", but a detachment or vexallation (as the Romans would call it). I have a few units of renaissance themed undead, including some wonderful models from Greebo Miniatures latest "Un-Renaissance" Kickstarter.
For this project I am doing a simple conversion using two different models: The plastic Empire General from Games Workshop and a Skeletal Griffin from Mythic Articulations. Mythic Articulations don't really produce gaming miniatures per se, but rather produce "anatomically accurate" skeletons of cryptids (mythical beasts). Brian Richardson is a gifted digital sculptor and puts some thought into how these animals would have really looked. Note the clavicle and the huge breast bone on the griffin. All their models are then 3D printed.










Mythic Articulations produces two griffins, one fully articulated and printed as one piece, and the other one in various pieces that you can articulate however you want. As you can see, I splurged for the "Griffin in a Can", because I wanted to be able to pose the figure to my liking. I was worried about the design because I imagined it would be fiddly and difficult to put together, but surprisingly, the ball and socket design allows you to fit the parts together very easily. The design is also fairly strong, and although I will probably have to glue it into its final configuration, it does allow you to try multiple poses without loss of strength. The only draw back is that the ball joints will be noticeable, even after painting and maybe some touch up work with some green stuff.






I was also worried about the scale as well. Mythic Articulations does not produce models according to a particular scale, say 28mm. As a result, for normal sized creatures such as a unicorn, the modes are far too big. But they can easily represent giant creatures and I have some in my armies such as an Asian Dragon, a Kirin, a European Dragon, a European Wyvern and a Cockatrice. Even though these models have given me a concept of the scale, I was still worried the griffin would still be too large for the GW figure and I'd have to build a howdah or something. But actually, as you can see, the size and shape of the shoulders/torso fits the General figure almost perfectly!




The General model is pretty much unconverted except for the head, I am using a skull ringed with a laurel leaf that is from a GW Empire battle standard. I primed the General figure black and the griffin almond using krylon spray primer. Then I assembled the Griffin in the configuration you see.

2 comments:

  1. I've been fascinated by the Mythic Articulations stuff since I stumbled onto their kickstarter. I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MA is awesome. The models are a bit pricey, but they work well for 28mm-32mm war-gaming, at least for giant creatures. I did convince Brian to scale down a few of his models to 32mm that you can find on his Etsy shop (skeletal satyrs, skeletal pegasus, skeletal cerberus). But unfortunately, I was basically the only person who bought any so he hasn't produced any more.

    The one thing to remember is that the material used for 3D printing acts differently from metal or resin and is very absorbent. So I screwed up my Agrax Earthshade wash for the model. You have to water the washes down significantly, which I failed to do and basically ended up staining the model dark brown. I'm going to have to re-prime and start over.

    ReplyDelete