Sunday, June 25, 2017

WIP Skeleton Chariots... Old School!

Been testing out a few things including my new air brush and some instabond accelerator for superglue - which, by my eyes, is the greatest invention of Western Civilization. It's miraculous. So I've been on a tear gluing together a bunch of old models that I can never seem to keep together. Some of which are these old school skeleton chariots back from the days when GW models were called "Citadel". While I was assembling, I also figured out I'd do some painting as well.

C22 Plague Cart

This is the old Citadel "Plague Cart" from the early 80's. A funny little model, sort of a precursor to the current plague cart. The ox cart is driven by a wraith, but I'm not partial to wraiths or other ethereals in my army - nothing but bone! But that's solved with an easy conversion. I just clipped an appropriately sized plastic skull in half and glued him into the void in the hood. Now he's a Grim Teamster!


Assembled, primed and painted with the zenithal highlighting technique.




Grim Teamster taking shape!


Pile of corpses washed with Agrax Earthshade.







This is a chariot from the Citadel Skeleton War Machines boxed set released in the mid-80's. In addition to the chariot it also came with the "skull chucker" catapult, and were the first chariot and artillery piece in my Legion.

I always found this big hunk of metal to be a bitch to keep together however, but using the instabond it fit together easy peasy. So here it is assembled, primed and zenithal highlighted.





In the original set, the hero was a bull-headed beast man by the name of "Longhorn". But Longhorn is doing duty in a beast man unit in my Undead Chaos army so I had replace him. I wanted to keep it in the Oldhammer Citadel family but most of those models are already in units. But I did find this model loitering around, and early 90's Citadel wraith/banshee.

Normally, I'm not a banshee guy because I'm not into ethereals, but she's pretty skeletal so I picked her up at some point. And when looking at her the idea hit me.

Long haired woman hero in a chariot? Boudica!

I've been listening to the British History Podcast, which is a fantastic show, and that turned me on to the story of the Iceni queen who led a rebellion against the might of Rome in the 1st century A.D. This would be a lovely representation of the doomed queen who I could plop down in my 1st century A.D. Undead Roman Legion. Romans... defeated enemy... all winding up in service to the dark arts in the end!





No comments:

Post a Comment